This no-fuss Mexican recipe is easy to make, flavorful and filling. Let your slow cooker do the work. Plus, it’s a great source of lean protein and fiber — and a hit with the kids!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
2 15-ounce cans salt-free diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
1 can chopped mild green chilies (drained)
1 15-ounce can no salt added black beans (drained)
1½ cups frozen corn
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups sodium-free chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
4 corn tortillas, sliced into ¼-inch strips
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese (about 1 tablespoon per serving)
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine tomatoes, chilies, black beans, corn, onion, garlic, cumin and chicken broth in a bowl.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on high for three hours until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow-cooker and shred with two forks. Return to slow-cooker. Adjust seasonings, adding more broth if necessary.
- Just before serving, add tortillas and cilantro to slow-cooker. Stir to blend.
- Serve in soup bowls, topping each serving with cheese and a squeeze of lime juice
Makes 6 servings. Per 1½ cup serving:
Calories: 336; Fat: 6 g; Saturated fat: 2 g; Protein: 34 g; Carbohydrates: 35 g; Fiber: 6 g; Sugar: 5 g; Cholesterol: 55 mg; Sodium: 238 mg; Potassium: 256 mg
Reposted from health.clevelandclinic.org