- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes (or regular if you prefer less spicy)
- 1 4.5 ounce can Old El Paso green chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken
- 1 1 ounce packed Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- 1 11 ounce can steamed corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 8 ” Old El Paso Burrito Tortillas
- 1 tablespoon Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- cilantro Old El Paso sliced Jalapenos, low fat sour cream, low fat shredded cheese
Heat oil over medium/high heat in a medium skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. I like mine to be a bit under-sauteed, to keep a bit of their crunch.
Once sauteed, add the onion and garlic to a slow cooker over high heat. Add in all other ingredients except for tortillas and garnishes. Stir to combine.
Heat on high, covered, for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours.
Before serving, prepare the tortilla crisps:
In a small saucepan, heat the canola oil over medium/high heat.
Using a pizza cutter, cut each tortilla into 1/2 inch strips.
Cook the strips in batches, about 2-4 minutes or until browned.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the strips and allow to drain on a paper towel.
While strips are still hot and before they’ve dried, sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt to taste. Allow to dry completely.
When ready to serve the soup, serve garnished with extra cilantro, low fat sour cream, jalapenos, and tortilla strips. Or any of your favorite toppings!