Heart Healthy Turkey Chili
1 yellow onion, diced
½ Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground turkey
1 red bell pepper
2 roma or plum tomatoes
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
1 – 14 oz. can red kidney beans (thoroughly rinsed)
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 – 14 oz. can tomato sauce
1½ Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 – 1 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on desired heat level – I use 1/2 tsp)
1 oz. 100% cacao Baker’s Chocolate
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Dice onion, red pepper, jalapeno and mince garlic. Set aside.
2. In a large dutch oven or soup pot, add oil and heat to medium low, add onions and saute around 5 minutes or so, stirring often.
3. Add minced garlic and cook, stirring often for 2 minutes.
4. Increase heat to medium or medium high and add ground turkey, cook until browned, crumbling into small pieces (use a potato masher if desired).
5. Add diced jalalpeno, red pepper, tomato and saute for 1 minute.
6. Add chicken stock, tomato sauce, and apple cider vinegar and stir.
7. Add in remaining ingredients and stir.
8. Simmer over medium-low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chili will thicken. If you notice it getting too thick for your tastes, add a splash of chicken stock as needed.
9. Turn heat off after the 40 minutes has passed and let rest on the stove for another 5 minutes before serving.
10. Top with green onion, cheese (monterey jack, cheddar, etc), sour cream, minced cilantro, diced avocado, and more diced tomatoes. (or whatever toppings you prefer)
Recipe yields 4 servings.