Heart Healthy Apple Oat Bran Muffins
For the muffins:
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups oat bran
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples of your favorite variety — peeled and diced
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the streusel topping (optional):
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make the streusel topping first by mixing together the brown sugar, ground flaxseed and chopped pecans.Cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine flour, oat bran, brown sugar, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt well with a whisk. Stir in diced apples and golden raisins.
- In another bowl whisk together milk, applesauce, vanilla extract, egg whites and coconut oil.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir together until combined.
- Spoon three tablespoons of batter into lined or cooking spray coated muffin cups. Sprinkle streusel topping over the batter if desired. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 18 minutes.
Recipe from unsophisticook.com
For a variety of apple recipes, check out Cooking Light’s Best Healthy Apple Recipes