Look for problems before you plug them in
(HealthDay News) — Glittering holiday lights are a delight to the eyes, but they can be a fire hazard if they aren’t inspected and maintained.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these safety guidelines for holiday lights:
- Carefully inspect all lights, even brand new ones, to look for frayed wires, loose connections or broken sockets.
- Never use electrical lights with a metallic tree. Faulty lights could charge the tree, and anyone touching the tree could be electrocuted.
- If using lights outside, make sure they’re approved for outdoor use. Never use nails or tacks to hang them; instead use hooks or insulated staples.
- Always plug outdoor lights into sockets with ground circuit interrupters.
- Turn off all holiday lights before going to bed or leaving your home.